Translate

Saturday, January 03, 2015

Cornmeal Blueberry Scones

It's a cold, lazy Saturday morning and I am making Cornmeal Blueberry Scones. This is the first of fifty new recipes I am attempting during 2015. 

This one has been in my binder for years, passed over many, many times. Today this recipe is getting my full attention. My inspiration - the package of organic blueberries in our freezer.

First step is whisking together the dry ingredients.


To cut in the butter, I'm using my Kitchen Aid mixer to do the work.

  


Then I'm adding the egg, buttermilk, and lime zest.



The blueberries need to be coated with cornstarch before adding to the dough.


Ready for the oven!



While the scones are baking, I'm making a lime glaze.


The glaze is drizzled over the warm scones after they are taken out of the oven.

The finished product!









The challenge: getting the blueberries incorporated into the dough. They just didn't want to mix in. I ended up with some whole blueberries at the bottom of the bowl after I scooped out all of the portions.

My discovery: That lime glaze is really good! It could be used on any bakery product. (I'm thinking of making sugar cookies with a little lime zest, then drizzling them with lime glaze.)

We enjoyed the scones. What we didn't eat went into the freezer.
Scones for breakfast? Just take them out to thaw the night before and they'll be ready to go with that morning coffee.

Here's the recipe:


No comments: