Translate

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Chicken Pho Soup

There's a new Vietnamese Restaurant not far from where we live. When we go there, I like to order one of the Pho soups - so good!

Since there's some leftover chicken in the freezer, I decided to use it for a Vietnamese-style soup, something like what is served in our neighborhood restaurant. I already had some of the ingredients. A quick trip to the grocery store, and I picked up fresh ginger root, cilantro, sprouts, and rice noodles.

To prepare the soup, I brought 5 cups of chicken broth to a boil, together with 1 clove of minced garlic, about 4 teaspoons of minced ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil. I added 1/2 Cup of bite-sized pieces of cooked chicken and 1/2 Cup of julienne carrots. Then I added a teaspoon of sriracha sauce. 

I had never cooked rice noodles before. They looked really good - right out of the package.


About 4 oz. of the dry noodles were added to the soup. I let it simmer for 5 minutes, or until the noodles were done.

Here's the soup on the stove.



Ready to serve! I added sprouts and some chopped cilantro. Garnish was a wedge of lime. 





The combination of these ingredients tastes absolutely addicting. The ginger is a huge flavor booster.

My Chicken Pho Soup may not be like an authentic one served at the Vietnamese restaurant, but it did get a "thumbs up" from the family. Addie suggested doing a vegetable broth pho with tofu. I will definitely consider it.

Rice noodles will be the new staple in my pantry!


No comments: