Translate

Friday, January 16, 2015

Mom's Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

When our kids were young, my Mom would send us cookies that she had baked. Their favorite was chocolate chip, and they were in almost every box she mailed to us. During the holiday season, Mom would send pecan dreams and rum balls. And sometimes Mom would also pack her homemade oatmeal raisin cookies.

Today I made the oatmeal raisin cookies, using her original handwritten recipe. The card is stained and creased, showing that it was probably a stand-by and used quite often.


And the backside:



I thought of her as I followed the recipe as closely as I could. However, I know she mixed the batter by hand, while I used my Kitchen Aid mixer to do the work. When the recipe said “drop by teaspoon onto the cookie sheet," I could almost see her using a spoon to form the cookies; I used a scoop and leveled each portion against the bowl.

The recipe yield was almost 60 cookies. When my three Airbake pans were ready for the oven, I still had leftover dough. So I used one of my old sheet pans with parchment paper. Exact same cookie dough and same scoop, different results. See the difference using two different kinds of baking pans.




The Airbake pans made for a flatter, more even product. With the older pan, the cookies were thicker and smaller in diameter.




The oatmeal raisin cookies came out very well. The recipe is a keeper, and one to hand down to my daughters. Hopefully someday when they make these cookies, they too will think of Grandmother and all those boxes of cookies that came from Wisconsin, packed with love. 

No comments: