Translate

Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Soup's On - It's Mushroom Kale

When I was growing up, we had soup on the stove almost every day. For my Dad, the day was not complete without soup, mostly some kind of beef or chicken.

Today I made mushroom kale soup, very simple and tasty on this cold, gray February day. 

I started by lightly sauteing the mushrooms and kale in olive oil. 


I then added 2 cups of vegetable broth and brought that to a simmer.


Next I measured 1 cup of milk. I added a small amount of that into a jar with some flour. I shook the flour and milk together until they were blended.

The rest of the milk went into the pot with the mushrooms and kale.

I brought that to a simmer, then slowly added the 
milk with flour.



Salt and pepper were added for seasoning. Then I stirred and simmered the soup for about five minutes until it was slightly thickened. Before serving I added a pat of butter.


Serve with crusty bread. (Glass of wine, optional.)

Ingredients:
6 - 8 very large mushrooms, chopped.
1 handful of fresh kale, shredded
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 Cups vegetable broth
1 Cup milk
2 Tablespoons flour
1 pat of butter
salt/pepper to taste.

Directions:
Saute mushrooms and kale in olive oil. Add the vegetable both and bring to a simmer. Blend flour with a small amount of milk. Add the rest of the milk to the soup mixture and bring to a simmer. Add the flour with milk. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer while stirring for about five minutes. Swirl in 1 pat of butter before serving.




No comments: