Translate

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The Serenity Prayer

I've never taken "The Serenity Prayer" very seriously. I'd read it as far as "to accept the things I cannot change," and thought I'd rather see, work for, pray for a lot of change. I still feel that way.
Last night I went to a Lenten prayer service. The priest asked us to read this prayer for as many days as we'd like, each day taking just one line and imagining what our life would be like if we actually lived that way. Using this approach, I thought I'd give this prayer another try to see if it could actually be meaningful for me. Surprisingly, I now believe that this could result in a lot of change!

Lord, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things that I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardship as a pathway to peace;
taking, as Jesus did, this sinful world as it is,
not as I would have it;
trusting that You will make all things right
if I surrender to Your will;
so that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with You forever in the next.
Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mom, you're a sweetheart and don't neeeeed to change. So, I hope you aren't thinking about wanting to change other people because that doesn't make sense either. I like the poem. It makes life seem a lot easier and a lot more enjoyable. But life shouldn't be so focused on change. Assume this moment is the best it will and ever could be. I love you mom.... be thankful. Amen. SERENITY NOW