Translate

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Jeffery Deaver's THE TWELFTH CARD

Just finished the novel Dorothy sent me. I don't usually choose current suspense thrillers, but gave this one a go. It became quite the page-turner about 1/2 way through.
I liked the way Deaver blended historic fiction with current fictional events, like 2 stories happening simultaneously, and he kept the reader wondering how they would tie together, right up to the final chapter.
I picked out a few favorite sentences:
From chapter 36, "...This's home. And you know what you do with your home, don't you? You change what oughta be changed and learn to be proud of what you can't."
From chapter 44, "Early Wednesday, the autumn air cold and clear as fresh ice."
And, not least, throughout the book, "Word." Now that's one of Jenn's favorite responses. (That gave the book some authenticity to me, and made me smile.)
There are five other Lincoln Rhyme/Amelia Sachs novels by Deaver. Geo has read a few.
THE TWELFTH CARD interested me enough to read another, and I just may go for the series.
Thank you, Dorothy. Aunt Marie, the book will be in the mail on its way to you.

No comments: