Translate

Sunday, May 30, 2021

First Striding

I joined the Women's Walk/Run fitness program First Strides which I had done in 2017 and 2018. It's interval speed and endurance training with each participant placed in a group of about 10 others who work out at a similar pace. We do a timed mile for group placement.

This year I am in group 5, in about the middle of the number of groups. I'll admit that, to me, this is a little disappointing; I had expected to be in group 3 with a few of my friends from previous years. 

We've met for a few weeks now. During the week we do First Strides homework, which is a repeat of the routine we do when we get together. This week it was "3 minutes push, 3 minutes easy for 4 reps."

As I'm getting into the program, I find I just don't seem to have the stamina I had a few years ago. It takes me longer to recover from a run. With a few more body aches, the agility just isn't there. As I started my homework for the week, I just felt tired. I said to myself, "Why am I doing this? Why do I think I can do this? Am I able to do this?..." And serious doubts came to mind.

Why am I doing this? I say I do this because I can do this, and out of gratitude for the level of fitness I do have, especially after years of cancer treatments.

So I am trying to "listen to my body" and to pace myself while challenging myself. I need to trust the process. I will improve. It will get better.

I find I have trouble breathing while running. We just received a First Strides video to watch about breathing exercises. I will take this seriously. I do want to improve my lung capacity and breathing efficiency.

I've said I do want to do another 5K. Although my body wants to resist and at times my mind is doubting, I will still keep this as my goal.

In the meantime, it is still "left foot, right foot." Focus. Persist.
Enjoy the run. Enjoy the people I am meeting along the way. 

Today is another First Strides homework day. One, two, three, Go!

No comments: