Translate

Friday, May 27, 2011

Biltmore, A French Renaissance Estate


Day 2 of our journey found us at the grand, HUGE privately owned Biltmore Estate. George Vanderbilt opened this home in 1895 for his family and friends. We enjoyed a self-guided tour through palatial rooms, more like a museum than a home. The views, especially from the upper levels, seemed to be never-ending. The estate comprises some 8,000 acres.

For some reason, I was especially intrigued with Napoleon's chess set that is displayed in the library (with some 10,000 books on the shelves). I also liked seeing the original very rich clothing.

One thing I learned was that the people who lived here at the turn of the last century would change outfits about 6 - 8 times a day, always assisted by their servants. Different activities called for different kinds of clothing.

Our tour leader asked me if I would like living here. I think I surprised him when I said, "No, it just seems too oppresive, heavy, and dark." Over-the-top elegance is just not my style.

What I WOULD like, however, would be the gardens as our backyard! So lovely and peaceful. Lady Bird Johnson is said to have visited here before beginning the design of her Wilflower Center. The photo I've posted was taken at the estate's conservatory.

The gardens at Biltmore were designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, the same person who also designed New York's Central Park. There were acres of gardens, all masterfully designed. It was a relaxing time before boarding our bus and heading to our next stop Greenville, Tennessee, and the home and gravesite of President Andrew Johnson.

No comments: