Translate

Sunday, March 07, 2010

Ed Asner as FDR

 
Last night Geo and I saw Ed Asner in a one-person play about Franklin D. Roosevelt. We were in the front row. I felt like I was sitting in an easy chair eavesdropping on history.

There was a smooth interplay with “FDR” reminiscing about his days in the White House, and then enacting scenes as they were occurring in the Oval Office.

I needed to overcome a few distractions. Even with makeup, Ed Asner did not exactly look like FDR. And hobbling on two canes did not live up to my understanding of FDR being too paralyzed to support himself. Also, I was enthralled with seeing Ed Asner the actor up on stage right in front of me. It’s not often I see Hollywood stars in person.

For a few brief moments, however, I really felt like I was back in Roosevelt’s time and watching current events, not aware of the outcome. The outrage and sense of urgency at the time of the attack on Pearl Harbor were especially powerful.

The last scene was poignant, and I will not reveal it here.

Now every time I think of FDR, I guess I will be picturing Ed Asner. He was that good.

No comments: