Translate

Friday, September 15, 2006

Rest of the Week

Per Geo's request, I am updating on the rest of the vacation week. With me still recovering from pneumonia, it was pretty low key.

A Georgia O'Keefe exhibit has been featured at the Shelburne Museum, so we took that in, along with other exhibits on the grounds. What I especially appreciated were O'Keefe's representations of Lake George.

Another day found us on the road, with Lucy, to Manchester. We really didn't do any shopping, but we did enjoy the drive there and back. Geo had the opportunity to see the Bose products at the store. Am trying to convince him to get the noise-cancelling headset, but so far, he is not buying.

And another day during the week, again with Lucy in tow, we visited President Calvin Coolidge birthplace and historical sites. A delightful day. Plymouth Notch is a place with rural beauty and charm, seemingly far removed from the fast pace of our modern day. It was so relaxing to be there, especially sitting in the Adirondack chairs on the porch of one of the old buildings, just taking in the scenery. The day was overcast, but the rain held off. We took part in the cheese-tasting - I favored the cheddar smoked variety, and we bought an apple pie. We also purchased a newly republished book of Calvin Coolidge letters.

We also took time to see Little Miss Sunshine. I also read a few books, the best being Julia Alvarez's SAVING THE WORLD (two novels in one, cleverly written.)

Now if I read my last paystub correctly, I still have some "Use or Lose" vacation time. More time off before October!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh mom- it sounds like you are really taking the time to enjoy yourself. I really miss cheese here, but managed to sneak some pizza in last night so I guess I am suriving. It's good to hear you are doing well. How was little miss sunshine? I heard it was good and wish I could see it. as always, peace and love, J

Shirl said...

You'd like Little Miss Sunshine, about a totally dysfunctional bunch of people. A good summer flick.
I'd send some cheese, but it would not be too healthy when it arrives.
Hey, do they pop corn over there?
We will have a party with all your fav foods when you get back!
I hope you are feeling better!
Prayers for your health and safety.
Love,
Mom