Translate

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Hermit Day

DAY ONE OF VACATION

I packed a box of food, a change of clothes and a stack of books into the Blubaru and headed for our Kamp on the lake. My escape from chores, phones and the usual routine.

When I am here the necessary and not-so-necessary distractions seem to peel away and peace seeps back into my soul. Our Kamp neighbor Mr. Murphy used to call this place a piece of heaven, and if heaven were not like this, he's not so sure he would want to b there. I think he was referring to the beauty and the peace.

I prepared a Thai meal (okay, Jenn, it was pre-packaged), hot tea and cookies, and I enjoyed my meal for one. I brought out my stack of books and decided to start the easy one first, the one about Grace Coolidge, wife of President "Silent Cal" Coolidge. I really liked the references to Vermont, places we've actually visited.

It was very still this evening - hardly a ripple on the water. I let myself sink into the silence to be renewed.

I do miss you guys. I'm thinking of Addie playing up a storm on the field hockey team, and Jenn somewhere in the hot springs of Thailand this weekend. Geo- you were only three phone calls away.

Peace be with you always.

No comments: