Translate

Monday, February 05, 2018

Blueberry Pie

Yesterday was Super Bowl Sunday, and I wanted to make a special dessert for Geo to enjoy while watching the game. With lots of blueberries in the freezer, I decided to make a blueberry pie. I would make the filling on the stovetop, instead of baking it in the crust.

My favorite crust to make is one using all butter. To keep it from melting into the pie pan in the oven (yes, I've had that happen), I roll it out quickly, place it in a cold pie pan, then put it into a 450 degree F. oven so that it sets quickly. When it's in the oven, I set the heat to 425 degrees F. and bake it for 10 minutes, or until done.

From the scraps of dough, I made a few cutouts that I also baked in the oven.

While the crust was baking, I made the filling. I used about 5 cups of frozen berries, added a sprinkle of cinnamon, a squirt of lemon juice, sugar, a dusting of cocoa powder (totally optional), and two tablespoons of cornstarch that was mixed with 1/4 cup water. I stirred and cooked this mixture until it thickened. 



By this time the crust was done. I let it cool completely while I put the filling in the refrigerator so that it also could cool.

Then it was time to spoon the filling into the prebaked crust.


I added the baked cutouts. 

This was the first time I made a fruit pie in this way. It was a fun way to make a pie.

There was a request for whipped cream to go with the pie. A perfect topping!


(Don't tell Geo, but I plan to make a cherry pie like this for Valentine's Day.)



No comments: