Translate

Friday, May 13, 2016

Rhubarb Pudding Cake

A friend of mine recently posted a recipe for Rhubarb Pudding Cake. It calls for two cups of chopped rhubarb. This reminded me that I had some chopped rhubarb hidden away in our freezer. I checked. Exactly two cups. This was a recipe I just had to try.

I had all the ingredients. So I preheated the oven to 375 degrees F. and began to make the pudding cake. The best part is that it is mixed by hand. And - there are no eggs. Very easy!



Once the batter is mixed and spooned out over the rhubarb, add a sugar/cornstarch topping. Boiling water is then poured over all.


Then it's ready for the oven.


After 45 minutes, here's the finished product:


When it's cool, it's ready for whipped cream or ice cream. I'll be adding some sliced almonds. Mmmm!

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients
 2 cups chopped rhubarb
 3/4 cup sugar 
 3 tablespoons softened butter
1 teaspoon baking powder
 dash of salt
1/2 cup milk (I use skim)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup flour
1 scant cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch

2/3 cup boiling water

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Spread rhubarb in an 8 or 9 inch square baking dish. 
In a separate bowl, mix together the next eight ingredients. Add a little extra milk, enough to be able to pour the batter. Pour batter over the rhubarb.
Mix together the sugar and cornstarch. Sprinkle over the batter in the dish. .
Evenly add the boiling water.
Bake for 45 minutes.
When cool, top with whipped cream or ice cream. (I'm adding sliced almonds.)
Yield: 9 delicious servings
Enjoy!

No comments: