Translate

Thursday, July 02, 2015

Pie Class Pumpkin Pie

I just completed Lesson 9 in my online Pie Baking class. The assignment was to make a Holiday Pie. I still had a can of pumpkin puree in the pantry, so I decided to go for a Pumpkin Pie. The recipe was unlike any pumpkin pie I had baked before.

The pie crust included adding a teaspoon of toasted sesame seeds to the dough. Would that really make a difference in the flavor?


I made the pie dough and put it in the refrigerator to chill. Then I made the pumpkin puree. That’s when I discovered I had no heavy cream! So I googled to see if there would be a substitute – easy enough: one generous half cup of milk with a scant ¼ cup of margarine equals ¾ cup of heavy cream.

I cooked the pumpkin puree on the stove with all the spices.



Then I added the “heavy cream,” milk, and eggs.

I rolled out the crust. Following the recipe, I needed to prebake the crust, carefully add the pumpkin puree, then bake the pie for an additional 25 minutes.

Here is the pie, ready for the oven.


The pie is amazingly delicious. But the sesame seeds? I didn’t even notice them in the crust. Next time I will not bother with them. 

The pie? I will be making this one again for our Thanksgiving table.

Recipe

Cook together for 5 minutes, while stirring: 2 cups of pumpkin puree, 1 cup brown sugar, 2 teaspoons ginger, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves. Blend in 3/4 cup heavy cream, 3/4 cup milk, and 4 beaten eggs. Pour into a prebaked pie shell and bake for 25 - 30 miinutes in a 425 degree oven.  


No comments: