Translate

Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Meat Pie

My attempt at making a pie a few days ago went well enough that I was eager to try it again. This time I'd make Shepherd's Pie. The recipe is from an online pie baking class.

I started by boiling the potatoes. Then I mixed a basic pie dough using unsalted butter for shortening. While that was chilling I sauteed the meat with celery, onion and minced garlic. (I used ground beef rather than lamb.) Then I added veggies, seasoning, and broth.

While the meat mixture was simmering, I rolled out the pie crust, then placed it in the pie plate. By then the potatoes were just about done.

Here's the unusual part: besides milk, the recipe called for two beaten egg yolks to be added to the potatoes before mashing. 

Next I spooned the meat mixture into the pie plate, topped it with the mashed potatoes, then added a little grated cheese.

I popped that into a 400 degree oven for about 40 minutes. The potatoes and the crust were lightly browned.








The pie turned out quite well. There are lots of variations to try, like chicken, turkey, and even salmon.

The next lesson is about making quiche and other vegetarian pies. Perfect timing for meatless Lenten days.

No comments: