Translate

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I Finally Found One


I finally found a cookie recipe I like: Cashew Cookies.


My kids would tell you that baking is not my forte. Putting together a Thanksgiving dinner, no problem. Baking a batch of cookies ~ aaghh!


So when the inspiration descended upon me this morning to do some baking, I dashed into the kitchen to pull out the ingredients before that inspiration would disappear.


I found this recipe from ~ of all places ~ the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library website (via twitter). There was an intriguing post about cooking with George Washington Carver. There I found a peanut cookie recipe that looked simple enough and tasty. 


I needed to make a few adjustments. No peanuts on hand, so I used cashews that I bought yesterday. George Washington Carver said to use well greased pans, but I rely on parchment paper. One small detail ~ there was no oven temp given. I tried 375 degrees for nine minutes and that was amazingly perfect.


Here's the recipe, with my modifications:


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream 1/2 cup butter with 1 cup sugar. Add 2 well beaten eggs and 1 tsp vanilla. Gradually add 1 cup milk, 1 tsp baking powder and 3 cups flour. Last of all, mix in 1 and 1/2 cups ground cashews (I smashed them in a "baggy" leaving some fine bits). Drop batter by spoon onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake for 9 minutes.


My yield was 52 cookies. 


Next I'd like to change the recipe using walnuts and orange zest, or use almond flavoring instead of vanilla. I might even try peanuts!

No comments: