Translate

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

#5, Check!

Jenn challenged me to list 50 things I'd like to do during 2010, and DO them. I took up the challenge. Saturday I checked off #5: See an opera.

Verdi's Simon Boccanegra was performed live at the NY Met, starring none other than Placido Domingo. This performance was broadcast in HD, as it was happening, in select theaters across the U.S., including one in South Burlington. I was there. It was fabulous.

Besides focussing on all the action, the camera took us into the orchestra pit, backstage as the sets were being changed, and even into the audience. I could see notes on the musicians' sheet music, and even beads of sweat on the performers. I especially liked seeing all the detail on the costumes. And, yes, there were subtitles for the Italian lyrics.

I'd recommend this experience for anyone who loves music, even if unfamiliar with opera (like me). I'm already planning to see Rosssini's Armida on May 1st.

Someone famous once said, opera has it all - passion, violence, romance, vengeance, murder - what's not to like?

No comments: